From 10 February until 4 June 2023 the Rijksmuseum in Amsterdam is hosting the lagest Johannes Vermeer exhibition ever. It is featuring most of his paintings (28 out of 35) brought from Europe, the USA and Japan. You can see the Girl with a Pearl Earring and other masterpieces.
Update: the tickets to the Vermeer exhibition in Amsterdam are sold out. You can still visit the Rijksmuseum permanent exposition. You can also see the Girl with a Pearl Earring at the Mauritshuis gallery in The Hague starting from 1 April 2023.
Tickets to the Vermeer exhibition at the Rijksmuseum
- An adult ticket to the exhibition costs €32.
- Kids under 18 years old may enter for free, but still need to book a ticket.
- Prior ticket reservation (with a time-slot) is always required.
- The starting time applies for the Vermeer exhibition. You can visit the permanent exhibition of the Rijksmuseum afterwards.
- Interest in Vermeer exhibition at the Rijksmuseum is extremely high. Tickets for some dates are sold out even before the start of exhibition. Book your tickets in advance to avoid disappointment.
Girl with a Pearl Earring on display in Amsterdam
Vermeer’s most famous painting (usually on display at the Mauritshuis in Den Haag) will be presented at the Rijksmuseum from 10 February to 30 March 2023. She will return back to the Mauritshuis on 1 April 2023.
Vermeer Paintings at the Rijksmuseum in Amsterdam
With loans from all over the world, this is the largest Vermeer exhibition ever. The Rijksmuseum‘s permanent exposition has four paintings by Vermeer, including The Milkmaid, View of Houses in Delft, Woman Reading a Letter and The Love Letter.
Other painting on display during the Vermeer exhibition in Amsterdam include:
- Diana and her Nymphs (from the Mauritshuis, Den Haag, the Netherlands )
- View of Delft (from the Mauritshuis, Den Haag, the Netherlands)
- The Geographer (from Städel Museum, Frankfurt on Main, Germany)
- Saint Praxedis (from the National Museum of Western Art, Tokyo, Japan)
- Lady Writing a Letter with her Maid (from the National Gallery of Ireland, Dublin)
- Girl Reading a Letter at an Open Window, (Gemäldegalerie Alte Meister, Dresden, Germany).
In total there will be 28 Vermeer’s masterpieces presented at the Rijksmuseum in Amsterdam.
Johannes Vermeer, born in Delft, the Netherlands, is a famous Dutch painter who lived in the 17th century. Vermeer was creating only two or three paintings a year.
There are only 35 paintings are attributed to Vermeer. In addition, there are a few paintings about which there is doubt. In 2023 most of his paintings will arrive to Amsterdam, which makes the exhibition at the Rijksmuseum so extraordinary.
Art experts already call the Vermeer exhibition at the Rijksmuseum a once in a lifetime opportunity. Hope to see you there!
Rijksmuseum’s adress is Museumstraat 1, 1071 XX, Amsterdam.
Vermeer exhibition opening hours:
- Sunday to Wednesday: 9:00 – 18:00
- Thursday, Friday and Saturday: 9:00 – 22:00
You can also combine your visit to the Vermeer exhibition in Amsterdam with a visit to the Van Gogh museum and Moco modern art museum. They are all located on the same square (Museumplein) in Amsterdam.