I amsterdam City Card – is it worth it? The short answer is YES. The card gives free access to 70+ museums, the city’s top attractions and free public transport in Amsterdam. Moreover there are a few not widely known options that will help you benefit from I amsterdam City Card.
Please note: you are required to book time slots before visiting most of museums and attractions included into I amsterdam City Card.
Everything you need to know about I amsterdam City Card:
What is included in I amsterdam City Card?
Please note that from July 2022 the Van Gogh museum is no longer included in I amsterdam City Card. Make sure you book the Van Gogh museum tickets separately >>
I amsterdam City Card is available in five options: for 24, 48, 72, 96 or 120 hours.
I amsterdam City Card prices in 2023
I amsterdam City Card: how it works
1. Order your card online. You can pick it up at I amsterdam Visitor Center at Amsterdam Centraal train station.
NEW! You can also download the I amsterdam app and choose to use your card digitally.
2. Activate your I amsterdam City Card. It works automatically, you don’t need to do anything extra. The card has two components:
- public transport
- museums and attractions.
Each component is activated separately at the moment of first use (the first time you check-in at public transport or enter a museum or attraction).
3. Use your I amsterdam City Card.
- for traveling by public transport with the City Card you just need to scan your card when entering and leaving a bus, tram or metro (do check-in and check-out). Learn more about using public transport in Amsterdam.
- you are required to book time slots before visiting most museums and attractions. Find out how to book your time slots.
Which canal cruises are free with I amsterdam City Card?
Here is an official full list of participating cruise companies in Amsterdam. You can also take a free cruise in Haarlem, Zaanse Schans and Volendam.
I amsterdam City Card tips
On I amsterdam official website you can find out what’s included in I amsterdam city card. This is what you can save by using the card instead of buying separate tickets:
And here are the card’s hints and hidden treasures, that will make I amsterdam City Card totally worth the money you pay.
So, what is good to know to make I amsterdam City Card absolutely worth it?
1. You can use your card for one extra day
Though some people mistakenly think that I amsterdam City Card is valid for 1 – 5 days, it is valid exactly what the number of your card says: 24, 48, 72, 96 or 120 hours. So if you activate your card on your first day, let’s say, at 11:00, it will still be valid till 11:00 on the day after the last one. You can, for example, enter the Artis Royal Zoo at 10:30 and spend half of the day there.
2. The card’s transport and museum components are activated separately
The City Card contains two elements – one for the GVB public transport, the other one for museums, attractions and a canal cruise. They are both activated automatically: the transport element at the moment you first use tram, bus or metro. The museum element – the first time you visit a museum, attraction or take a canal cruise.
Keeping this in mind, you can plan your itinenary correspondingly to get the best out of your 24 – 120 hours in museums and in public transport.
3. You can get free compliments and gifts
They include free walking tour guide in Volendam and Enkhuizen, free brochure in Haarlem tourist information office, free cup of coffee or tea in a museum cafe in Naarden (the list of gifts and free extras is subject to change).
Public transport with I amsterdam City Card
The I amsterdam city card gives an unlimited access to public transport in Amsterdam – the GVB bus, tram, and metro. The card is also valid on night buses.
Please note: the card is only valid in the municipal GVB bus, tram and metro lines in Amsterdam. Connexxion, R-net and other regional buses, as well as NS train services, are not included.
How to use your I amsterdam city card in public transport:
- when you enter a tram, bus or metro station, you need to check-in. Just tap your card against the card reader – and that’s it. Using your card to check in will activate it. After activation the card is valid for 24, 48, 72, 96 or 120 hours (depending on the duration of your card).
- before you exit, you have to check-out. To do so, just tap the card against the card reader once again.
I amsterdam City Card and travelling by train
Train service is not included in the City Card. If you are planning to explore the Netherlands, we recommend buying a public transport Amsterdam & Region Travel Ticket.
Amsterdam & Region Travel Ticket (ARTT) is valid for 1 – 3 days of unlimited travel by train, bus, tram and metro in Amsterdam and surrounding areas (including Schiphol airport, Volendam, Edam, Marken, Zaanse Schans, Haarlem, Zandvoort and Keukenhof).
ARTT map in 2023. Open the image in a new window to enlarge it.
Prices in 2023:
- 1 day – € 21,00
- 2 days – € 31,50
- 3 days – € 40,50
During the Keukenhof opening season the Amsterdam & Region Travel Ticket is also valid in bus lines:
The ticket is valid from the first time you check in until 04:00 hours after the last valid day. Order Amsterdam & Region Travel Ticket online >>
Amsterdam & Region Travel Ticket
I amsterdam City Card pick-up location
After completing the online booking process, you will get an e-mail confirmation. You can show it and collect your physical I amsterdam City Card at the following location:
- Amsterdam Central Station: I amsterdam Store, on the North side of the station.
Opening times may be subject to change. Please check it on I amsterdam official website.
Information & helpdesk
If you have any questions or problems regarding your I amsterdam city card, you can visit I amsterdam Store at Amsterdam Centraal station or contact the support team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Enjoy your visit to Amsterdam!
Amsterdam in one day: things to see and do
This page is also available in German: I amsterdam City Card: Wie funktioniert sie?